- **Area Information**
- Administration
- Building Code Department
- Building and Grounds
- Circuit Court
- County Board
- County Clerk
- County Library
- County Parks
- County Treasurer
- District Court
- Drain Commission
- Elections
- Emergency Management
- Equalization Department
- Friend of the Court
- Jail
- Land Information Services (GIS)
- Menominee Conservation District
- Menominee County 911
- Menominee County Fair
- Menominee County Road Commission
- Michigan State University Extension
- Probate Court
- Prosecuting Attorney
- Public Health - Delta & Menominee Counties
- Purchasing
- Register of Deeds
- Sheriff's Office
- Veteran Services
- Vital Records
Make a Park Reservation
Departments » Building Code Department » Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program

Soil Erosion Permits
1. Do I need a Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit?

Soil Erosion permits are required for all projects involving earth moving activities that occur within 500 feet of surface water (as defined) and disturb more than 225 square feet or disturb one or more acres. Soil Erosion exemptions are allowed for those projects that:

  • Disturb less than 225 square feet and are stablilized within 24 hours.
  • Include only post holes for decks
  • Include only borings and percolation tests when stabilized within 24 hours of the initial earth change and disturb less than 225 square feet
  • Include only shrub and tree removal when no vegetation is disturbed
  • Include only the plowing and tilling of fields for crop production

    2. How big is an acre?

    One acre is 43,560 square feet, or 208' x 208' if square. Determine from your plans the areas where earthwork will occur and measure the areas length and width. Remember to include area for utilities, well, septic, fill brought in, lot grading, building structures and driveways.

    3. How do I complete the timing sequence?

    The timing sequence gives us a general idea of when your project will begin and when it will be finished, and also lays out a sequence of steps to follow for erosion control. Temporary measures, such as silt fence, check dams, or vegetative buffers should be installed at the beginning of the project. The stone aggregate drive should also be in at the start of construction. Permanent measures, such as grass, shrubs, pavement or other vegetation should be installed as soon as possible after final grade. Removal of temporary measures should be done after the site is completely stabilized. For major projects please note in determining a timing sequence, detention/retention/sediment pond installation should occur at the beginning of a project and that catch basin covers should be cleaned at least once a month until permanent measures are functioning.

    4. There's no water on my site, why do I need a permit?

    Proximity to drainage ditches, drainage swales, catch basins, detention or retention basins, wetlands, and designated drains must be taken into account. These may appear dry for much of the year, but all serve a vital role in the conveyance of surface water, and can carry sediment into larger bodies of water.

    5. What are impervious surfaces?

    Impervious surfaces are areas that do not absorb rainfall, these are covered by pavement or structures. Previous surfaces are areas that do absorb rainfall such as vegetated ground.

    6. Who is the party responsible for ongoing maintenance of permanent erosion control measures?

    Examples of permanent erosion control measures are vegetation and storm water detention/retention areas. The responsible party is the property owner and/or homeowners association for commonly held properties.

  • Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program
    - General Information
    - FAQ
    - Forms & Documents

    Copyright © 2024 Menominee County Government - Menominee Michigan
    839 10th Ave., Menominee, MI 49858 • (906) 863-7779
    Designed & Powered By Konect
    Legal Notice | Privacy Notice | Acceptable Use Policy | Linking Policy