- **Area Information**
- Administration
- Building Code Department
- Building and Grounds
- Circuit Court
- County Board
- County Clerk
- County Library
- County Parks
- County Treasurer
- District Court
- Drain Commission
- Elections
- Emergency Management
- Equalization Department
- Friend of the Court
- Jail
- Land Information Services (GIS)
- Menominee Conservation District
- Menominee County 911
- Menominee County Fair
- Menominee County Road Commission
- Michigan State University Extension
- Probate Court
- Prosecuting Attorney
- Public Health - Delta & Menominee Counties
- Purchasing
- Register of Deeds
- Sheriff's Office
- Veteran Services
- Vital Records
Make a Park Reservation
Departments » Friend of the Court » Parenting Time
General Information

Parenting Time Orders:
A parenting time order grants time between the parent who does not have custody, and the children. The Michigan Child Custody Act (MCL 722.27a, MSA 25.312(7a)) states: "It is in the best interest of the child to have frequent and constant contact with the non-custodial parent. If the parents agree on parenting time terms, the court shall order those parenting time terms, unless the court determines on the record that the parenting time terms are not in the best interests of the child. A child shall have a right to parenting time with a parent unless it is shown on the record by clear and convincing evidence that the parenting time would jeopardize the child's physical, mental or emotional health".

During the person's parenting time, that parent is responsible for all routine decisions affecting the child.

Parenting Time Enforcement:
The Menominee County Friend of the Court is required to provide enforcement services regarding orders for parenting time.

The Friend of the Court must begin enforcement when it receives a written statement containing specific facts. This statement should include dates, times and reasons given about any claimed denial of parenting time.

If the Friend of the Court believes that the parenting time order has been violated, the office may:

(1) Schedule a meeting with the parties and attempt to resolve the dispute; or

(2) Refer the parties to a mediator if they agree to mediation.

If either of the above options are not successful, the Friend of the Court shall do one or more of the following:

(1) Apply a make-up parenting time policy. Each office is required to have such a policy. Contact your local office for more information.

(2) Schedule a contempt of court hearing. At the time of this hearing, the parent who is ordered to appear in court is required to show "good cause" why he/she is not obeying the court's order for parenting time. If the court decides the parent is in violation of the court order, the court may impose penalties including make-up parenting time, fines, license suspension, and jail time.

(3) Petition the court for a change in the exisiting parenting time order. A report and recommendation will be provided in writing to the parties or their attorneys before any court hearing.

Parenting Time Modification Actions Started By Parties:
An individual may file his/her own motion for a change in his/her parenting time order. This is known as an In Pro Per, or Pro Se, parenting time modification. The office of the Friend of the Court will provide forms and instructions to any party who wishes to file this type of motion without the benefit of an attorney.

A party may also contact an attorney to file a motion requesting a change in the parenting time order.

If both parents agree (stipulate) to change the parenting time order in a way that benefits their child, they may sign an agreement (stipulation). Once that agreement is put in the form of an order, signed by the judge, and filed with the county clerk, it will become an order of the court.

Should you have a parenting time complaint, please submit the following form...click on link. Parenting time complaint form

Make-up Parenting Time Policy

Contact:  Jodie L Barrette - Friend of the Court
Phone: (906)863-8981
Fax: (906)863-2649
Click here to email
Address:  839 10th Avenue
Menominee MI 49858
Office Hours:  7:30 a.m. CST - 4:30 p.m. CST

Caseworkers available after 4:00 p.m. CST by appointment only.

Clients are encouraged to make payments online at www.misdu.com, by mail to MISDU, P.O. Box 30351, Lansing, MI 48909 or at www.govpaynow.com using pay location 9154.

Cash payments and correspondence/forms can be enclosed in an envelope and placed in a secure box in the Courthouse vestibule.
Parenting Time
- General Information
- Forms & Documents

- Application for Services
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Department of Human Services
- Filing a Motion
- FOC Questionnaires
- Forms
- Interactive Voice Response
- Legal Aid
- Make a Payment
- Medical Reimbursement
- MiChildSupport ~ Payment and Enforcement Info.
- Online Resources and Handbooks
- Opt out of FOC Service
- Parenting Time
- Review of Support
- Staff
- To file a Grievance
Copyright © 2024 Menominee County Government - Menominee Michigan
839 10th Ave., Menominee, MI 49858 • (906) 863-7779
Designed & Powered By Konect
Legal Notice | Privacy Notice | Acceptable Use Policy | Linking Policy