Hearing Impaired Services
Hearing Impaired Services
Our 911 center is equipped with a Telecommunications Device for the
Deaf (TDD). This device will detect an in coming BAUDOT or ASCII
call and allow hearing impaired persons to report an emergency via a keyboard device directly to a 911 dispatcher.
The device is interfaced with the telephone system in our 911 center
and will automatically alert the dispatcher of an incoming TDD call.
Our 911 telecommunicators have been trained on the operation and use of the TDD. Hearing impaired customers will not have to call a translation service in an emergency; they too can dial 911.
ATTENTION TTY / TDD USERS
Currently, 9-1-1 emergency service cannot be used with a TTY / TDD connected to a digital wireless phone nor with an analog/digital wireless phone in the digital mode. While the wireless industry and equipment manufactures work to resolve this matter, the Federal Communication Commission requires that customers be notified about the existing limitation.
DO NOT use the relay service in an emergency!
Call 9-1-1 and we will communicate directly with you using TDD/TTY. Menominee County 9-1-1 provides equal access to citizens using TTY devices for communications. TTY is a text message system that is used by speech and/or hearing impaired individuals to communicate via phone lines with other TTY users.
Each end of a TTY call must have a TTY device.
It does help the 9-1-1 center if TTY users will press the space bar several times when the phone is answered. If we do not detect Baudot tones and there is no voice response on a call, we will send a TTY message.
- We use these messages, or ones like them, when communicating with TTY users.
- 911 WHAT IS YOUR EMERGENCY Q GA_
- WHAT IS YOUR PHONE NUMBER Q GA_
- WHAT IS YOUR NAME Q GA_
- WHAT ADDRESS TO SEND HELP Q GA_
- STAY CALM HELP IS ON THE WAY…
- STAY NEXT TO YOUR TTY HD…
- CALL BEING TRANSFERRED (GIVE TO) TO A MEDICAL PLACE HD…(RINGING)…
- Additional or different messages can be tailored to fit individual needs. Examples include:
- WHAT IS YOUR HOME ADDRESS Q GA_
- WHERE IS THE EMERGENCY NOW Q GA_
- IS ANYONE HURT Q GA_
- DOES HE OR SHE NEED MEDICAL HELP Q GA_
- WHO IS HURT Q GA_
- WHERE DOES IT HURT Q GA_
- NAME OF HURT PERSON Q GA_
- HOW OLD IS HE OR SHE Q GA_
- MAN OR WOMAN Q GA_
- IS THE HURT PERSON AWAKE Q GA_
- WHAT DOES THE RUN-AWAY CAR LOOK LIKE Q GA_
(In this context, "run-away" is used for a "get-away" vehicle. Other
concepts may include a hit and run, or car-jacking.)
- WHAT KIND OF RUN-AWAY CAR Q FORD Q CHEVY Q OTHER Q GA
- WHAT COLOR IS THE RUN-AWAY CAR Q GA_
- IS ANYONE INSIDE THE RUN-AWAY CAR Q GA_
- DOES THIS PERSON HAVE GUN, KNIFE, OR OTHER Q GA_
- IS THE WHOLE BUILDING ON FIRE Q GA_
- IS THE FIRE IN ONE SMALL PLACE IN BUILDING Q GA_
- ARE THERE PEOPLE STUCK INSIDE THE BUILDING Q GA_
- HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE STUCK INSIDE THE BUILDING Q GA_
- DO YOU KNOW HOW THE FIRE STARTED Q GA_
- HOW TALL IS THE BUILDING Q GA_
- PLEASE HOLD UNTIL POLICE CAR GETS THERE…
- IS THERE A FIGHT Q GA_
- HOW MANY PEOPLE IN FIGHT Q GA_
- ARE YOU ALONE NOW Q GA_
- CAN YOU GO TO YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBORS Q GA_
- DO YOU HAVE A DOG Q GA_
- DOES YOUR DOG BITE Q GA_
- CAN YOU WALK Q GA_
- FAMILY OR HUSBAND OR WIFE WE CAN CALL FOR YOU Q GA_
- WHAT IS THEIR PHONE NUMBER PLS Q GA_
- LEAVE NOW SKSK